Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Cure

I have seen many people asking a very important question. Does the GAPS diet cure type one diabetes? The answer to this question will depend on how you will define the word “cure” for yourself. As for myself, I know that the western diet filled with quick carbs, sugars, starches and highly processed food assisted in making me sick. However, my diet was not the only thing. Type 1 diabetes runs in my family. My great grandfather had it, my mother has it, my niece has it and now I too have it. I am at a genetic disadvantage when compared to the average Joe and my body simply can not handle the western diet like others can. So for me, a cure does not mean that I can eat all the junk in our western diet and react the same as anyone else. To me a cure means that I can allow my body to heal itself to its own potential and if I take care of myself and watch what I put into my body I can live a happy and healthy life free from insulin and/or other medications. I don’t care that someone else can eat a double decker cheeseburger and be just fine. I know that my body is genetically different from others and that it comes with its own complications but also its own strengths. Now I do expect for myself to one day be able to enjoy an occasional burger or slice of pizza, but these can not be the staples of my diet. Besides, why would I ever want to return to the diet that was the catalyst to my poor health. So, for those who are considering the GAPS diet, you need to ask yourself what a “cure” would be to you. I am personally enjoying the diet as well as the results. I eat great healthy homemade fresh food, a LOT of meat, and at the moment I am taking 1/20th the amount of insulin my doctor prescribed to me and my sugars are better regulated. I look forward to the day that I will be able to quit my insulin completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment